September 09, 2006

Kasteel Veloren

"Welcome to Verloren
Please feel free to wander at your leisure."


I've been here before. On my very early explorations into SL I ended up so completely lost that I had to teleport myself out. Which should give you some idea of the sheer size of the Kasteel Verloren.

the Kasteel Verloren


The tp to the castle in "Find" (and in the SLurl below) will rez you in the entrance hall, but I prefer to approach from across the bridge. I recommend using the provided SLurl to Exact - you will get a much better sense of the scope (and may see something you like in Exact at the same time). By teleporting directly to the entrance hall, you also miss the cottages and outbuildings surrounding the castle.

the caretaker cottage

The Caretaker's Cottage



I was better prepared to wander about on this visit. And took my time exploring the maze of sitting rooms, bed chambers, dining halls, the kitchens and servents quarters - the seemingly endless network of corridors and twisty staircases leaves you in doubt of your exact position within the castle. At one point I dropped through a hole in the floor into what I first thought was a chapel but on closer inspection appeared to be the throne room. There is a dungeon that I didn't notice on my last visit (the entrance is somewhat hidden) and stables with horses.

the dining room

The table is set for just two.



The astounding attention to detail brings life to the build: carrot pieces have fallen onto the floor in the kitchen, boots are carefully placed under a bed, the fireplaces are lit in all of the rooms to ward off the chill of stone walls.

the kitchen

Dinner is being prepared



I kept my hover tips on for the length of my visit, the names of the objects are entertaining and occasionally, you will run across a free-to-copy item to take home as a souvenir of your visit (like the chicken feet in the kitchen). I came across only one other soul during my visit, a monk alseep in the courtyard. In true SL fashion, he was suspended in the air.

At the time of this entry, I had yet to reach Versu Richeliue, the individual responsible for the castle, to ask quesitons about the build. But Versu's profile reads: "The next person that tells me to "take a break" from building to dance or play tringo is going to get a smack...When I take a break, I log out." This sort of single mindedness and passion is marvelously displayed in the Kasteel Verloren.

Kasteel Verloren, Verloren (209, 131, 43) - The Entrance Hall
Exakt, Verloren (219, 31, 34)
Caretakers Cottage, Verloren (49, 200, 36)
Dungeon Entrance, Verloren (57, 78, 34) - Look around.

For more information about the beautiful Otherland estate, please visit their website or contact Dana Bergson or Ghoti Nya in-world.

2 Comments:

Blogger CronoCloud said...

The exterior looks like Neuschwanstein castle in Germany.

Neuschwanstein on Wikipedia

9/11/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you would be interested to know that "kasteel" is the Dutch word for castle, and "verloren" is the German word for lost. Lost Castle.

1/01/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home